Everything Starts in the Gut.
A properly functioning GI tract plays a central role in overall health and vitality. The gut is now being called the body’s “second brain” as more and more research is showing its integral role not only in the function of the immune system and the production of neurotransmitters, but also in chronic and systemic disease.
When the integrity of the GI tract is compromised it can cause health problems that may seem unrelated to digestion. These problems can occur even in the absence of typical symptoms of distress such as gas, bloating, stomach aches, constipation, or diarrhea. Impaired integrity of the GI tract or “leaky gut” has been associated with many conditions including autoimmune diseases, skin problems, irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and heart disease.
At ICON Wellness we utilize a Functional Medicine approach to gut health called the “5R’s” which has been shown to lead to significant improvement and even resolution of many symptoms.
- Remove: We must remove the things that are negatively impacting gut health. This could mean identifying food allergies, food intolerances (ALCAT testing), toxins, poor diet practices, or the presence of parasites, yeast, or problematic bacteria.
- Replace: In this step we replenish things that help optimize digestion such as digestive enzymes or hydrochloric acid. These may become depleted by poor diet, aging, medications, or certain disease states.
- Re-inoculate: Here we introduce “friendly bacteria” or probiotics such as bifidobacteria and lactobacillus.
- Repair: This step is about helping the gut lining to “heal and seal” by supplying key nutrients often deficient in those with a compromised gut, including zinc, vitamins A, C, & E, fish oil, and glutamine.
- Rebalance: Lifestyle choices are important. Diet, sleep, exercise, and managing stress are all important for maximum GI health.
Do you feel like you are eating all the right foods but still not feeling your best or seeing the results you want? Your food choices, while healthy, may not be right for you. ALCAT testing can help identify food sensitivities that may be contributing to inflammation and chronic activation of your immune system. ALCAT does not identify food allergies; it identifies food intolerances. Food intolerances are foods that a person’s body is currently not digesting well.
These foods can cause:
- Digestive problems
- Difficulty losing weight
- Aching joints
- Skin problems
ALCAT is a blood test that can detect up to 200 different food sensitivities based on how your white blood cells react when exposed to these food antigens.
If food sensitivities are detected it is recommended that those foods be removed from the diet for a certain period of time. Each ALCAT test result includes a individualized 4 -day rotational eating plan to help guide you in eating a variety of foods for your optimal health and healing.